rss
twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me

The Lowdown on Lohan


Lindsay Lohan became a major Hollywood player in her short 19 years, and hopes to continue her string of success with her latest series of films. Voice was lucky enough to chat with the teen starlet online, as she spoke candidly about her craft, future and her upcoming romantic comedy “Just My Luck.”

The film, which takes place in bustling New York, centers on a career girl and socialite named Ashley Albright (Lohan). “Ashley has got her head on straight and she’s determined, which I think is great,” Lohan said.

She is the luckiest girl in the world, according to the film’s press kit. Jake (Chris Pine, “The Princess Diaries: Royal Engagement”) on the other hand, is a bad luck magnet. Everything changes when the two cross paths and kiss at a masquerade ball, switching their luck.

Unlike Lohan’s recent successes in the teen comedy genre, with films “Mean Girls” and “Freaky Friday,” “Just My Luck” marks an adult turn in the actress’ career.

“It’s a more mature film compared to the ones that I’ve done before,” Lohan said. “It’s more a romantic comedy than I’ve been able to do so far, and it’s nice to have a comedic side to it. It also has my first on-screen relationship.”

The pressure of a first on-screen relationship can be daunting for any young actress, but Lohan said she didn’t mind it.

“It was acting,” Lohan said, laughing. “It’s just pretend.” Director Donald Petrie has helmed a number of actresses in breakout roles including Julia Roberts in “Mystic Pizza” and Kate Hudson in “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.”

“I loved those movies,” Lohan said. “I love comedy and I really wanted to work with Donald on this film.”

Aside from “Just My Luck,” the superstar has a number of sophisticated roles in major motion pictures in the works. The actress can be seen in the latest film from legendary director Robert Altman (“Nashville,” “Gosford Park”), “A Prairie Home Companion,” and the independent Emilio Estevez (“The Breakfast Club,” “Mighty Ducks”) film, “Bobby.”

Both roles are generating a sizable amount of Oscar buzz.

“A Prairie Home Companion” sees Lohan playing daughter of prominent actress Meryl Streep (“Sophie’s Choice,” “Adaptation”) and working alongside longtime Altman favorite Lily Tomlin (“I Heart Huckabees,” “Short Cuts”). Such weathered veterans may intimidate a fledgling youngster, but Lohan said she learned much from the pros.

“More than discussing acting with [Streep], I observed her,” she said. “I just wanted to get a feel for how [Streep and Tomlin] become their character, how they work with the rest of the cast and crew and other things that I keep to myself.”

“Companion” takes place backstage during the final broadcast of the renowned radio program. Shot in Minnesota, the film gave the idol a chance to escape from big city living.

“I like the opportunity to focus on your craft,” Lohan said. Though she said she thinks the roles are more layered and mature than previous characters she has played, Lohan said she struggles to shed the “teen queen” stereotype.

“I don’t want to lose my teen audience,” she said. “I think it’s important to grow with them rather than ahead of them.”

Aside from acting, the actress has dabbled in modeling and singing. “I’ve been modeling since the age of 3,” she said. “I really appreciate the art of making music, films and such – and sending certain messages, whatever they may be.”

The 19-year-old doesn’t want to stop there.

“I also really love the fashion industry.,” she said. “And I like directing – so who’s to say what I will be involved in next?”

Lohan fans can catch her in “Just My Luck,” in theaters May 12, and “A Prairie Home Companion” will be in select theaters June 9.

As far as the future goes, Lohan said she tries not to get ahead of herself, though she wouldn’t mind garnering a gold statue at some point. “I would like to acquire an Oscar, and I’d like to have my own charity – amongst other things,” she said. “But I like to take every day as it comes.

2 comments:

RC said...

I really enjoyed this post as it had some marked similarities to my most recent post.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Steve said...

Wait, you really got to talk to La Lo?